The Girl in the Red Cape

Last week for reading we had to create a book cover using a google drawing template. We created the front and back covers. The book cover needed to be something that I would want to read, and would pick off the shelf either at the library or the shops.

We also did some learning about what makes a good fit book for all of us in my reading group. We then create group ground rules to follow while we work in our reading group.

Below is a screenshot of my book cover.

2013-08-18 

A 3 year old child walks alongside her mother pleading with her “Mummy let me go please pretty please?” her mother finally gave in and they headed towards a house with a huge banner clearly embroidered with the words garage sale. Straight away Mina (the 3 year old) spots a doll her mother tries to say no but her head is forced to nod. The little girl jumps with happiness, clearly not noticing the creepy white gown and red blotches on the doll. She runs her fingers through the black tangled main of the doll as they walk up to pay. 

10 years later….

Matted and old, the doll’s eye lopsided; she sits in the corner of Mina’s room just as she has for the last 7 years she’s finally had enough. The only thing on the doll’s mind was Mina. She wanted to hurt her and wanted to make her cry and live a horrible life so the doll changed her form. Yes this doll could go from human to doll but there was one problem she could only ever wear a red cape and a light white dress. First she wants to get rid of Mina’s mother because she was hesitant to buy the atrocious doll. 

~That night~

The girl in red lugged Minas mother into a dungeon set with bars aligning the walls then she stabs a knife right through the heart coughing and gasping for air the Mother screams but she doesn’t wake anyone up. Now Mina lives in a fair. She never leaves the house and before every night she throws the doll out the window but it always comes back watching her every move planning the next attack  but one day everything changes…….

One thought on “The Girl in the Red Cape

1. Ava this is scaring me! Your book cover is creepy, bloody and something I don’t think I will be reading off the shelf but at the same time it is brilliant! Thank you for sharing your learning, and telling us more about the story.

Miss Gill.